I previously wrote about social enterprise, sustainability and triple bottom lines: the stuff that The Junk Wave hobby business is all about.
Social Capital is yet another definition that people often struggle to understand.
Social Capital is what we collect a lot of at The Junk Wave. According to Social Capital Research, Social Capital is another of those concepts that have no clear definition. However, it is a term that summarises “the value of social networks, bonding similar people and bridging between diverse people, with norms of reciprocity.”
All this social stuff is well and good, but at The Junk Wave need balance: we need financial growth to extend The Junk Wave to work, full-time, with kids at risk: kids who have no money to pay for workshops but who have a great need to engage in our diversional Smart Art programs. The kids like we’ve just worked with in the Cape for three weeks (funded by the Kids Leading Safer Lives – Wet Season program)
I want to engage a full-time “youth at risk” group therapist.
- I want to have a therapist who can help teach kids at risk new and sustainable life skills via waste management and Smart Art up-cycling principles.
- I want the person to be an animal assisted group therapist who can walk the beach with a therapy dog and a group of troubled teens, to teach empathy and to encourage the picking up of beach debris to manage our harmful plastic waste in the oceans by turning their treasures into healing art.
- I want to offer the “kids at risk” beach walk program as a training program for youth work students (we supply the youth practice and the RPL evidence around Smart Art and micro counselling skills)
- I want a sponsor and corporate social responsibility partner who will fund the therapist and get much positive marketing and social capital from us in return.
I have insufficient cash flow to grow and I am unable to get a business loan from traditional sources for another two years. But, I have the passion, the vision, the professional background, the understanding of recycling and the work ethic.
If you have the corporate social responsibility, the ethics and the need for my passion and transparent practice that will sing your praises to the maximum, then I want to talk to you.
The Social capital reciprocity between us will look like:
- you employ the group therapist
- I house and manage the process, including
- your advertising on all material, our highly visible website and
- you become a presenting/publishing partner at conferences or on industry journal articles.
A big dream to find a big Daddy, but, I have always been a big dreamer and have never let a financial barrier stop me before.
Sponsorship, crowd funding, grants or multiple sales of The Junk Wave hobby businesses so I can self fund….I will do what I need to make this happen.