I absolutely LOVE this idea from Favecrafts (my favourite craft site). Recycle all those old fluffy worn out socks, the ones with a hole in the toe or a lost mate!
Make a sock bed to fit a cat or small dog. Your pet will love it (me too - I love it and I want one)!
- 8 fluffy socks (any color)
- 90cm + 5cm of solid color felt or upholstery material (to match the main color used in socks)
- Quilting thread to match
- Thin quilt batting & cotton stuffing (try to use recycled stuffing please)
- Sewing machine
- Straight pins
- Cut 2 - 45cm circles out of the felt/upholstery material (can make larger for larger pets).
- Cut 1 – 44.5cm circle out of quilt batting.
- Stack the circles, felt on top, quilt batting in middle, felt on bottom. Sew a seam stitch around circumference of circles .5mm from the outer edge. Set aside.
- Lay each sock flat and cut 1 3.8cm off the toe* end. Leave the heel on, it helps curve the circle. Turn the socks inside-out, seam one cuff to the other lower foot area together mixing colors for a design, until all are joined and you have a long tube. Leave the end of the tube open for stuffing.
- Pin the tube to the edge of the felt circles about .6cm inside the circumference all the way around and sew the sock tube to the felt circles using quilting thread for a sturdy seam. Stuff the open end of the sock tube until solid and puffing up for a pillow for your pet. Sew the stuffing seam together and put in your pet.
*Toe End Sachets – fill the toe with dried rose, lavender, or magnolia petals wrapped inside a thin piece of batting and sew the open area together. Throw these in your drawers.
If you want to make this, The Junk Wave currently has socks and a couple of old cushions from which to recycle stuffing: cost $6.00 ($3.00 for the socks, $3.00 for the cushions). Our stock constantly changes so first in, first to make a groovy pet bed.