With only minutes until workshop participants arrive to make float decorations for the Cairns Festival Overflow FNQ Grand Parade, I still had not thought about how to make or decorate lettering for the side of our float. Having plenty of cardboard and plenty of magazines, I made a split second decision to roll magazine pages and hot glue gun to cut out cardboard letters. I figured it might look a little funky??? What do you think from the below photos?
I instructed workshop participants (the wonderful Amanda and Nic are pictured) to:
1) Tear out colourful magazine pages and roll them.
2) Hot glue the edge and then hot glue the roll to the letter.
3) Repeat the process until the letter is covered.
4) Turn the letter over and cut away the excess magazine rolls. You want them to cover the cardboard letter only. Letters with straight inner edges can be cut with a pair of scissors: Curved inners need a craft knife.
5) To finish: Paint your magazine craft letters with several coats of watered down PVA glue. This provides a high gloss and gives strength.
I thought I had created a new magazine craft. But alas, after a little research, I discovered these delightful Book Letters at Little Things Bring Smiles.