- Appeal to a person's five senses: they need to see, hear, touch, taste and smell your environmental message
- Never argue - you want your message to be remembered in a positive light and not a confronting one. You will never change some people's mind so why bother to get yourself upset over their ignorance. Better to appeal to their five senses and let them draw their own conclusion
- Listen to all sides of the argument. Your opinion is not the only one and you need to understand why some people think environmental concerns are unfounded
- Publicly share your passion for the environment and not your anger at what is being done to it. Passion is contagious. Anger makes people run away.
- Use social media to form relationships. Be friendly helpful and post a sales post only every fifth post - four positive posts, one sales related post. People won't buy until they have a relationship with you and know that you are a genuine, balanced and passionate human being who cares about the total environment (including all people and the man-made environment)
- Bonus tip: Always give something for nothing. Nobody owns the environment; she is here for us all to love and enjoy. Give away your protective knowledge and information for free. You are privileged to know and understand how important environmental causes are - give your passion for free and it will always come back to you.
Many thanks to Peace Mitchell from Ausmumpreneur Network (I belong to the network and recommend it) for the handy tip about it taking five times or more for someone to see your brand before they buy. The Junk Wave loves that little statistic.