Rather than add plastic coat hangers to landfill, Barkins Collective in Cairns DFO supplies us a bag of plastic hangers a week. Thank you to Barkins Collective for demonstrating care of the environment and of our children.
How to reuse plastic coat hangers:
Plastic hangers make a number of fantastic crafts:
- mobiles (hang treasures from them)
- picture hangers (art work or photographs)
- use as a frame for a light weight pirate hat
- paper mache frame for shoulders and head
- Make a tree. Children can hang wish or worry leaves off the plastic branches.
Here’s a very interesting short article on why plastic hangers are not local council recyclable and what toxins they give off when put in landfill: We’re filling the Empire State Building (4 times) with 8 Billion Hangers each Year. After reading it there was NO WAY I was going to pass up Barkins offer of helping to keep their hangers out of landfill. Thanks Barkins Collective – we will use your hangers for good rather than bad.
To buy a box of clean junk (yes, the plastic hangers go through out dish washer cleaning process just like everything else) check out our subscription service page for your once off, monthly or yearly subscription options.